Claiming Your Google My Business Listing
Although you may see your business on Google Maps, you can take one easy step and claim your Google My Business listing in just a minute or two.
There are quite a few advantages to doing so. Here are just a few:
- Add your own content to the Google My Business listing like your logo, pictures or your store, products, team, and more.
- Fill in missing details and correct errors. Maybe the map pin is in the wrong spot or your hours of operation are incorrect. Very easy to correct after claiming your listing.
- Be alerted of reviews your business receives and respond to them.
- Claiming your Google Business listing puts your expanded or additional business info on Search, Maps and Google+ so that customers can find you, no matter what device they’re using.
Here’s how to claim your Google Business listing:
First, don’t be alarmed if you’re asked to create a Google account (step 2 below). You don’t have to establish a new email address – it’s simply to establish a way to correspond with Google. You can use your existing email address and create an account with a password. If you already have a google account sign in as you would normally.
Second, do this process when you’re at your business and can answer the main phone line.
Let’s get started!
- Click to the Google My Business page.
- Sign in or click Create Account when prompted “Sign In To Continue”
Reminder: you don’t need to establish a new gmail email address. Click “I prefer to use my current email address“
- Use the search bar at the upper right to find your business. Keep in mind if might be spelled differently or structured differently. If you’re not presented with the map and search bar, click the Get On Google button.
- There are a couple different paths you might need to take here:
Google may find your business once you start typing and continue to narrow down the results. Click your business name to continue.
In the event that Google doesn’t locate your business, you’ll need to submit your business’s information by clicking “This Doesn’t Match – Add Your Business”.
- Tick the box that reads “I am authorized to manage this business and agree to the Terms of Service.”
- To verify that you are authorized to manage the listing, Google will need to call (easiest) your business and provide you with a verification number that you’ll enter.
If you have a new business or are Adding Your Business, the only option will be to receive a postcard at your business address that will contain the verification number.
- Once verified, you’ll see you My Business page.
It’s here that you’ll edit your business information like hours, a short description, and most importantly business categories. Business categories let customers find your business based on very general search terms like “lunch” and “gifts”. You’ll want to take a moment to add or edit these categories because people may not know the name or of your business in conjunction with what you provide when they’re searching for products and services they need.
- From here you should add pictures, read and respond to reviews, and continue to build out your listing. It’s also a another great channel to share status updates and build a community and conversation around your business.
Need help? We’re on hand to give you a hand. Drop us an email.